When it comes to batter-based celebrations, Pancake Day has no equal. Every year millions of people gather around well-oiled pans and get battered, and the world is a better place for it.
RECOMMENDED: Healthy Pancake Recipes
However, if you’re in the middle of an intense training plan and are topping up your protein intake with supplements, you may feel that you’ll have to skip the Shrove Tuesday batter banquet. And that’s no fun.
That’s why we enlisted Multipower ambassador Healthy Jon for this incredibly healthy (obviously, otherwise we’d have gone to Unhealthy Jon for a recipe), sensationally tasty, unbelievably simple pancake recipe. You only need to gather four ingredients to make it. Four ingredients! That’s the same amount of ingredients as a cup of tea with milk and sugar!
Of course, if you want to use more than four ingredients to spice it up, we’re not going to stop you. There’s even a couple of suggested additions in the recipe. Just be warned that these won’t taste exactly like regular pancakes – it’s a whole new approach to batter.
RECOMMENDED: High-Protein Snacks
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein isolate
- ¼tsp baking powder
- 1tsp cacao powder (optional)
- ½tsp cinnamon (optional)
Garnish with flaked almonds, almond butter and cacao nibs. Alternatively, pick and mix from yogurt, berries, desiccated coconut, maple syrup or honey. Be creative with your toppings – just be careful to avoid adding tonnes of sugar.
- Put everything into a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth.
- Heat a pan (medium to high) and coat with a very thin layer of grease. One-calorie sprays work brilliantly but if you don’t have one, wipe some butter on the pan with some folded up kitchen roll. The thinner the layer of fat the better – you don’t want to fry the pancake, just stop it from sticking (that’s a trade secret right there).
- Pour in your batter and flip when you start to see bubbles. Leave for approximately the same duration on the other side and then remove.
- Place on a baking rack to cool – if you place your pancakes on a flat surface such as a plate or chopping board after cooking,s condensation will form and make them soggy. Allow the pancakes to breathe will keep them nice and fluffy (another pro tip – you’re welcome).
- Once you’ve cooked all your batter, stack your pancakes on a plate and garnish with your favourite toppings.
RECOMMENDED: The Best Protein Flapjacks Recipe
Multipower Rich Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate, £69.99 for 1,590g. Buy at multipower.com