Ordinarily, a big evening session in the gym, a sunset workout or a post-work 5K is enough to ensure you get the sleep you need from the moment your head hits the pillow. But even with aching muscles screaming out for rest, modern life often stands in the way of that blissful trip to the Land of Nod.
Be it thoughts of work rushing about your brain, the kids refusing to go to bed or iPhone overtime resulting in too much exposure to that slumber-killing blue light, we all know that sleeping can be a challenge. And when you’re missing out on the seven essential hours we all need, your body’s missing out on a huge amount of muscle-building, fat-burning and re-energising potential.
Luckily, we’ve got just the thing to help you get all of those bedtime benefits. This brilliant smoothie recipe, created by sports nutrition specialist Scott Baptie, contains six tasty ingredients, but every single one is crammed with kip-improving nutrients to help ensure you get the rest you so sorely need. Whizz one up and try it out for yourself. You can thank us in the morning.
- 1 banana – provides tryptophan, which the body converts into sleep-boosting hormones.
- Handful of kale – provides calcium, which helps the brain to process the tryptophan more efficiently.
- 1 kiwi fruit – provides antioxidants including vitamin C that improve the onset, duration and quality of sleep.
- ½ avocado – provides magnesium, which helps to calm your nervous system and prepare it for bedtime.
- 400ml milk – provides casein, which helps your body recover from exercise while you sleep.
- 1tbsp honey – produces small insulin spikes, which cause tryptophan to enter the brain.
Nutritional information: Calories 561, fat 20g, carbohydrate 77g, protein 29g
Scott Baptie is a physique and sports nutritionist, online personal trainer and director of foodforfitness.co.uk